Friday 7 October 2011

Making your own photo canvas prints


Photo canvas' is not something I own but have always considered - should I/shouldn't I? I liked the texture of the canvas and presenting a photo in that form but never made it all the way to getting one (also, they can be quite pricey). So, I was absolutely stoked when I came upon this brilliant idea whilst doing a late night browse of pinterest.

Sarah who has the blog "Sarah's Never-Ending Projects" (a woman right up my alley!) has provided a step-by-step tutorial on how to achieve this.

Here is what I used:
canvas (can't be bigger than A4 size, I used 8x10 inch)
white tissue paper
A4 paper
scissors
tape
homemade mod podge (craft glue and water - see this post here on how to make it)
2 brushes
Cut a piece of tissue paper slightly larger than A4 and then attach it to your A4 paper by folding it over and taping it to the back.
Print a trial run of what you want to print and then if it is as you like it print onto the tissue paper.

Detach the tissue paper carefully from the A4 paper.


Brush a thin layer of mod podge onto the canvas
Carefully lay the tissue paper on top and delicately brush over with a dry brush to remove any bumps and bubbles.


Don't be too enthusiastic or you will tear the tissue paper as I did like this:


Make sure you do around the edges and cut away any excess tissue paper to create a tidy finish.

And voila!



I've done one for me and one for my mother-in-law, but I have four more to do as I want to make a collage of them on my wall. All up it cost less than $5!

1 comment:

Thanks for popping by, I love to hear from you.